We were pleased to welcome 34 members and friends to our 2017 AGM on Monday 23 January – including representatives from the police, the Students’ Union, the church, the mosque, landlords and our local Councillors. The Annual Report was well received. All of the existing committee members and officers bar one indicated they would be willing to stand again and were duly elected. Petrina Boddington felt she needed to stand down because of work and family commitments but will still be supporting OARA events.
The second half of the meeting saw lively discussion in groups (Greening, Community, Smart Streets, History and Traffic/Planning) about plans for the year ahead with some excellent new ideas being put forward, including by our student representative and our PCSOs. These included:
- OARA post cards for new neighbours
- Working with the Inner Avenue RA to “do something about Lodge Road”
- A regular PCSO drop in for residents, bringing in students too
- Involving students in our litter picks as well as during Student Volunteer Week
- Working with the Council to ensure we do not suffer if two-weekly bin collection is approved
- Ensuring we play a part in the Common Forum to protect this precious amenity on our doorstep
- Setting up a Lend-a-Planter scheme for students
- A scheme to share information about skills and activities in our area
These were added to the proposed plans already circulated and then approved. A copy is attached. There is certainly plenty to keep us busy in the year ahead – and there was a plea for more members to come along and join in! The minutes of the meeting, the annual report and accompanying slide show, the 2016 accounts, the list of committee members and officers and, importantly, plans for the year ahead will all be on our website at www.outeravenueresidents.co.uk. Provisional dates have also now been set for members’ meetings this year – Tuesday 9th May and Monday 16th October.
The consensus seemed to be it was a good meeting, with a positive atmosphere and a will to work together as a community to protect what we have, to tackle the things that still get us down and to have some fun in the process.
We look forward to keeping in touch and working together in the year ahead.
Hilary Jackson (Secretary) on behalf of the OARA Committee