This coming year we plan to carry on trying to achieve more “joined up thinking” across out patch and partners and to continue the work we have been doing for several years under the headings below. These all aim to foster the idea of working together to improve the Common Ground we share.
COMMUNITY AND SOCIAL
- Maintain / develop links with partners such as the Council, students’ union, businesses places of worship and the school.
- Liaise with police on issues of concern on our patch.
- Carry on with social events such as Big Lunch, Meet Your Neighbours and the Christmas party.
- Follow up ideas from OGM to deter/tackle anti-social behaviour
- Try to build more links with our diverse local communities and make events more attractive to parents and children.
- Continue to develop art and cultural events such as Blue Door Art Exhibitions.
- Continue links with Alma Road Surgery to help promote the well-being of local residents.
Build up links with more landlords and lettings agencies, including SUSU’s letting agency
- Carry out membership drive with new leaflet
- Send mini bulletins to mailing list re activities/achievements
- Produce newsletter for wider circulation, as well as mailing list and notice board
- Increase use of Nextdoor and other local networks
- Use our postcards to welcome people moving in and raise profile
- Organise special meeting to plan for student summer clear out time, inviting Council, Uni, SUSU, RAs and landlords
- Follow up outcome of Parking Survey and traffic/road improvement proposals
- Take forward the Lodge Road improvement project, depending on success of funding bid
- Continue litter picks, usually on 1st Sunday of the month, allocate individual patches and implement our Street Blitz ideas.
- Continue trying to get the Council to carry out more timely cleaning, eg in student holidays, including leaf removal
- Dog mess: take up council offer of No Fouling signs and pilot yellow spray to highlight the problem!
- Contact businesses to get them to take responsibility in the vicinity of their businesses.
HISTORY AND HERITAGE
- Continue to raise funds for our projects.
- Put in place the ‘Welcome to Bevois Mount’ sign.
- Paint our next mural.
- Repeat our ‘Walk up the Avenue’ and ‘Lost pubs of Bevois Mount’ walks, and introduce our ‘History of the Common’ walk.
- Continue to give talks on a variety of topics, beginning with a talk about John Arlott at the Portswood Library on March 14th.
- Put up more blue plaques to celebrate the lives of notable Bevois Mount inhabitants.
- Publish our 6th history calendar.
- Continue to update our Facebook page and website.
- Develop greening ideas linked to PPG wellbeing initiative
- Develop greening ideas, e.g. planters and hedging, linked to Lodge Road project, and to counter pollution
- Maintain existing projects, including flower beds, barrels, tree planting and Plant Swap
- Develop community area, including wooden planter, at junction of Alma/Gordon by the planters and Mural
Hold two more Table Top Sales to raise funds for greening
- Continue to monitor and to respond to planning applications and issues.