Present:

As identified on the Attendance List):

OARA Residents

Alma Road

  • Peter Wirgman
  • Barbro Fitzjohn
  • Chris Jackson
  • Dave Rounce
  • Barbara Matcham

Avenue Road

  • Harald Raykowski
  • Liz Haslam
  • Edwin Haynes
  • Judith Payling

Gordon Avenue

  • Jerry Gillen
  • Dorothy Haslehurst
  • Barbara Deacon
  • Maggie O’Connor
  • Alan Pritchard
  • Linda Pritchard

Earls Road

  • Richard Long

Rose Road

  • Mandy Leigh
  • Sarie Leigh

OARA Committee

  • Gordon Gillies (Chair)
  • T Jacobs (Membership Secretary)
  • Andy Haslehurst (Treasurer)
  • Lynn Murphy (Secretary)
  • Sue Swallow (Planning Officer)
  • Rosy Maguire (Committee Member)
  • Phine Dahle (Committee Member)

Southampton City Council

  • Cllr Barnes-Andrews

Other attendees

  • Stephen Connolly, (Leigh Road)

Apologies:

  • Cllrs Burke and Rayment
  • Matt Conrad, Petrina Boddington, Heather Soper, Richard Hill, Greg Hewitt, Peter Syvret, Mary Hockey (Residents)

1. Welcome

Gordon opened the meeting by welcoming all of the attendees. The apologies were given.

2. Update from the council

Gordon invited Cllr Barnes-Andrews to update the meeting with news from the council. Cllr Barnes-Andrews told the meeting that the Overview and Scrutiny Committee were looking at the council’s response to the Big Society initiative. The council plans formally recognise Residents’ Associations, provide them with litter picking equipment and provide 3 free rubbish collections per year.

Cllr B-A was asked about the continuing dispute. He responded that rubbish, recycling and green collections should be back to normal but the bin men are working to rule and won’t take side bags. A number of views to the contrary were expressed. The Cllr agreed to:

  • Check that collections were operating as they should in the OARA area
  • Check that the green collection was operating as it should
  • Check that the Street Sparkle initiative was still operating

Action: Cllr Barnes-Andrews

3. The Annual General Meeting

3.1 Chairman’s report

Gordon briefly summarised the report, highlighting our successes and areas where we needed to refocus our efforts. He wanted to record his thanks to Matt Conrad for designing and maintaining the OARA website. He asked for more people to come forward and help lighten the workload.

3.2 Financial Report

The Treasurer briefly went through the Financial report for the year, stating that we have to spend £63.88 by April 2012. He also reported that now that we have a proper set of accounts, we are able to apply for grants which we were unable to do before. Gordon thanked Andy for keeping the accounts.

3.3 Membership Cards

Gordon asked the members how we should raise funds for the coming year. One option is to have a Membership Card for which a charge will be made. He invited Jerry Gillen from Highfield RA to report what they do. Jerry responded that Highfield charge £3 for a Membership Card per household, which provides a number of benefits eg: discounts at local restaurants. The Highfield Membership Secretary issues the cards by writing the name and the membership number on it.

There followed a debate about how OARA could operate a membership card scheme and it was agreed that:

  • Membership Cards were a good idea
  • We would charge £3 per person for each card
  • We would invite Matt Conrad to design the card and Rosy would reproduce it

Action: Rosy

3.4 Election of Committee Members for the following year

Gordon stated that the Committee Members for the year need to be elected. For each position, he asked whether anyone wanted to stand for each role, for a proposer and seconder, and a show of hands. The following people were elected:

  • Chair: Gordon Gillies, proposed by T Jacobs, seconded by Phine Dahl
  • Vice-chair: vacant – no-one stood
  • Treasurer: Andy Haslehurst, proposed by Sue Swallow, seconded by Maggie O’Connor
  • Secretary: Lynn Murphy, proposed by Rosy Maguire, seconded by Andy Haslehurst
  • Membership and Minutes Secretary: T Jacobs, proposed by Barbara Matcham, seconded by Lynn Murphy
  • Planning Officer: Sue Swallow, proposed by Judith Payling, seconded by Rosy Maguire
  • Committee Member: Rosy Maguire, proposed by T Jacobs, seconded by Maggie O’Connor,
  • Committee Member: Phine Dahl, proposed by Gordon Gillies, seconded by Sue Swallow
  • Committee Members: Barbara Matcham, Chris Jackson, Barbro Fitzjohn and Liz Haslam, collectively proposed by Gordon Gillies, and approved with a show of hands by the meeting.

3.5 Date of next AGM

The next AGM will take place on Tuesday 26th January 2013.

4 The Ordinary General Meetings

4.1 Actions from the last meeting

T will update Action List and it will be circulated with these minutes when approved.

Action: T and Gordon

4.2 HMO Supplementary Planning Document

4.2.1 Overview

Gordon invited Sue Swallow to give a brief overview of the HMO Supplementary Planning Document. Its provisions are largely those set out by Chris Lyons at the meeting on 6th December (please see the minutes for further details).

T clarified that the whole of the OARA area is in Bevois ward rather than Portswood so the 20% threshold would apply.

A query was raised regarding the situation where an application was made and the 40m radius cut across the boundary of a 10% and 20% area such as might occur between Bevois ward and Portswood.

Action: Sue to follow up with Chris Lyons

Gordon invited Jerry Gillen to give his thoughts on the document. Jerry agreed with the points already made and said that he had already two responses, one of behalf of Highfield and one on behalf of the Community Forum. He felt that Bevois should be 10% and the rest of the city 15% rather than 20%. Asked whether we should respond to the document as a Residents’ Association or individuals, he responded that we should do both as the landlords are mounting a robust case against it.

Sue had also drafted a response to the council raising some of our concerns notably about the exclusion of blocks of flats from the calculation, the impact on parking and other infrastructure concerns.

After further questions and clarification, we agreed the following actions:

  • Gordon to forward the Supplementary Planning Document to the whole membership
  • Jerry Gillen to send Gordon the two responses that he had prepared
  • Gordon to forward on Jerry’s responses to the membership.
  • Sue to add in the headline statistics for OARA based on our own research and forward it to Gordon
  • Gordon to forward Sue’s draft letter on to the membership
  • The membership to pick out from the forwarded documents the points that they wished the council to consider by 17:00 on Wednesday 1st February

5. Projects for 2012

Gordon briefly outlined the projects that we had set ourselves in 2011 and placed particular focus on two:

5.1 Greening Group

Judith Payling informed the meeting of the Greening Group’s proposal to:

  • Procure a bench and two planters at the end of Livingstone Road.
  • Plant 60 trees in front gardens. Because there is no public space in the OARA area, we are not eligible for any grants and will have to fund the trees ourselves.
  • Hold a table top sale on Sunday 29th January in the car park of Alma Road surgery to raise money for the above two projects.

The car park can hold 12 tables. If people want to sell items for their own profit, they are asked to pay £5. If people want to donate items for an OARA table, they can do so. People wishing to have a table should set up by 10:30 am. Rosy agreed to produce some flyers based on the posters and Barbara Matcham agreed to distribute them in the immediate vicinity. Gordon also agreed to email the membership to drum up custom.

Action: Gordon, Barbara and Rosy

Maggie asked whether they could have some Attendance Sheets in case people wanted to join the mailing list.

Action: T to provide Attendance sheets.

5.2 Street cleaning

It was agreed that we would conduct another street clean in the New Year and Barbara agreed to organise this.

Action: Barbara Matcham

6. Conclusion

Gordon concluded the meeting by thanking everyone for attending.

6.1 Dates of next meetings

To be arranged.

Action: all to note