Present:

OARA Residents

Alma Road

  • Peter Wirgman
  • Tim Knapp
  • Heather Soper

Avenue Road

  • Helen Muscat
  • Judith Payling
  • Edwin Haynes
  • John Hayward
  • Jon Harris
  • Fiona Barnes
  • Nigel Barnes-Evans
  • Samantha Barnes-Evans

Earls Road

  • Richard Long

Gordon Avenue

  • Susan Swallow
  • Philip Steart
  • Barbara Sheppard
  • Phine Dahle
  • Mike and Maggie Bell
  • Dorothy Haslehurst
  • Chris Hawthorn

Clifford Dibben Mews

  • Ron Cogger

Spear Road

  • Peter Taylor

Livingstone Road

  • Dr Kevin Sharpe

OARA Committee

  • Richard Hill (Vice Chair)
  • Lynn Murphy (Secretary)
  • Andrew Haslehurst (Treasurer)
  • T Jacobs (Vice Minutes Secretary)
  • Rosy Maguire
  • Paula Noyce (Minutes Secretary)

Southampton City Council

  • Cllr Derek Burke

Hampshire Police

  • PCSO Hayley Taite
  • PC Justin Noons

Apologies:

  • Gordon Gillies (Chair)
  • Malkeat Singh (Southampton City Council)
  • Barbara Matcham (Alma Road)
  • Mary Hockey (Cambridge Road)

1. Welcome

Richard opened the meeting by welcoming all of the attendees.  He explained that Gordon was unable to chair the meeting on this occasion, then introduced himself and invited the rest of the committee to do the same.  Richard gave a brief summary of the committee activity to date with regard to Item 4 of the agenda (preparing a constitution suitable for adoption in order for the association to get up and running); he also explained that the priorities of the association are about local issues.  He then outlined the full agenda for the meeting.

2. Introduction of ‘Our Issues’ work topic

Lynn briefly outlined Item 9 on the agenda (our issues and priorities), setting out how the exercise would, essentially by brainstorming, identify the aims of the OARA and provide the focus for future action.

3. Minutes and update on actions from last meeting

Where appropriate, T read out the status of the actions raised for Gordon at the previous OARA meeting.

  • 2.1.1 1. Andrew Haslehurst confirmed he is in the process of retrieving the monies from the previous Outer Avenue Residents’ Association.
  • 2.1.1 2. Action carried forward
  • 2.1.2 1. Gordon has received the Polygon Residents’ Association contact details but is still to make contact. CARRIED FORWARD
  • 2.1.4 1 & 2 Gordon has spoken to Sam Ling of SUSU, who unfortunately is moving out of the area. NO CONCLUSION AS YET
  • 2.1.5 1. Gordon has received the Posh Pads social responsibility clause. FURTHER ACTION REQUIRED (to coordinate an activity with the letting agents).
  • 3.3 Covered in Item 4 of Agenda for meeting 06.12.10
  • 4.1.2 Hayley believed she had sent the crime report to Gordon, but agreed to send an updated report.
  • 5.3.4 Covered in Item 5 of Agenda for meeting 06.12.10

T emphasised that copies of the minutes from OARA meetings will be posted on the website.

4. Adoption of OARA constitution

Richard set out that although the main function of the OARA is to address residents’ priorities, in order to achieve this, an agreed constitution was required.  He reported that comments had been received on the proposed constitution to date and that Gordon had updated the constitution to reflect these.  He also pointed out a typing error at 1a, which should read (see Section 1b).  Peter Wirgman raised the references made to auditors at 6g of the constitution.  He said that although he did not feel there need be an amendment made he said his experience was that if funds were under a certain amount there is no requirement for the accounts to be audited, but that this can be expensive if there is a requirement.  Andrew Haslehurst responded that he felt confident this will not create a problem.   Richard emphasised the constitution would need to be formally accepted at the AGM but in the meantime in order for things to move forward the constitution would need to be adopted as is.  Phine Dahle asked for confirmation that her understanding of the constitution as being permanently open to review and can be changed at any AGM was correct.   Richard confirmed this.   He again confirmed that the constitution, as is, is necessary in order to take concerns forward for now.  This was agreed.  The committee will therefore adopt the constitution as a working document until it can be formally adopted at the AGM on 17 January 2011.

5. Update on make a difference month

T reported on Gordon’s behalf that he had sent the planned MADD proposal to SUSU.  A date had been agreed to meet with the students to carry out a ‘wheelie bin etiquette’ leaflet drop.  Unfortunately, on the day no students attended.  Gordon contacted Sam Ling at SUSU to let him know and it is hoped to arrange another date for a combined activity.  The wheelie bin leaflets were dropped along with the leaflets advertising the OARA meeting of 6 December.  T said that it was hoped to produce a parking etiquette leaflet by the end of January 2011 and that the plan was to wait for the students to get in touch and attend to distribute these leaflets and/or carry out a street sparkle exercise.  Gordon has also produced a pothole analysis form.  Judith Payling said she preferred the term, ‘pothole map’.  Several people felt very strongly about the issue of potholes.  Councillor Derek Burke explained that the Council prioritises potholes by their depth.  He said he would email Gordon a name of someone from the Highways department so an invitation can be sent for them to attend the OARA AGM.

  1. ACTION T TO PRODUCE PARKING LEAFLET
  2. ACTION TO FOLLOW UP HIGHWAYS DEPARTMENT CONTACT

6. Election of more committee members

  • Membership Secretary, Student Reps, Street Reps

Paula proposed T to be Membership Secretary.  Paula explained that T has been very proactive in the setting up of the Association to date.    Richard seconded Paula’s proposal of T and this was unopposed.

ACTION ON GORDON TO FOLLOW UP REQUEST FOR STUDENT REPS

Richard asked for those present to consider becoming a street representative.  This prompted some discussion around what would be expected of a street representative.  Paula said that the OARA covers a large area and it would be more likely to be able to address more localised issues within the OARA if they are known about.

Thank you to the following for offering to be street representatives:

Peter Taylor for Spear Road, Ron Cogger for Clifford Dibben Mews, Phine Dahle for Gordon Avenue and Dr Kevin Sharpe for Livingstone Road.

7. Council announcements

Paula read out various council notices aimed at strengthening community relations and confirmed they will be posted on the website.

8. OARA website

T introduced the website, inviting people to visit the site,

www.outeravenueresidents.co.uk.

She explained that the person who created and is hosting the website is an OARA resident.  She set out the current layout and that it is possible to make refinements.  Richard Long asked how often emails are currently being checked.  She replied that Gordon is checking any email correspondence to the site daily and that eventually there may be another committee member needed to monitor/update the information on the site.

9. ‘Our Issues’ post-it note session

Lynn posed two questions: ‘why have you come along here?’ and ‘what are we hoping to achieve’.  She arranged us into four groups, and each person’s answers to the questions on post-its were grouped into themes.  The groups then came together to identify common themes for all.  Unfortunately, this exercise had to be cut short due to time restrictions, but Lynn agreed she would take away all the information, collate it and present it back at the next meeting to identify areas to focus our efforts in the future.

10. AOB

Fiona Barnes felt that the issues of families within the OARA area should not be overlooked (she works at the school and could raise awareness of OARA there).

PC Justin Noons said that the OARA would be invited to attend the Police and Community Together (PACT) meetings.

PC Hayley Taite said that there has been some car crime.  She encouraged people to take a copy of the police notice she had provided to display in their vehicles.  She also said there have been a few burglaries and advised people to be vigilant.

Phil Steart said he was having an ongoing problem with Gordon House, which is run by Stoneham.  Councillor Derek Burke offered to follow this up.

Maggie gave out some leaflets for a carol singing evening on 22 December.  The plan is to meet at Bitter Virtue at 7pm.  Maggie is providing the carol sheets.

Thank you to the following people for volunteering again to distribute leaflets:

Barbara Shepperd, Sue Swallow, Helen Muscat and Judith Payling.

The next meeting of the OARA will be 17 January 2011.  This will include the AGM.  The venue is to be arranged.