Present:

As identified on the Attendance List

Alma Road

  • Peter Wirgman
  • Dave Rounce

Avenue Road

  • Judith Payling

Earls Road

  • Richard Long
  • Sue Silva

Gordon Avenue

  • Chris Hawthorn
  • Hilary Jackson

Highcliff Avenue

  • Margaret Chiari

Other attendees

  • Jerry Gillen, Highfield RA
  • Cllr Derek Burke
  • Loretta Emory, SCC
  • Jason Evans, SCC

OARA Committee

  • Gordon Gillies (Chair)
  • T Jacobs (Membership Secretary)
  • Sue Swallow (Planning Officer)
  • Rosy Maguire (Committee Member)
  • Barbara Matcham (Committee Member)
  • Chris Jackson (Committee Member)
  • John Hayward (committee Member)
  • Phine Dahle (Committee Member)
  • Barbro Fitzjohn (Committee Member)

Apologies:

  • Cllr Stephen Barnes-Andrews, Andy Haslehurst, Dorothy Haslehurst, Lynn Murphy, Mary Hockey.

1. Welcome

Gordon opened the meeting by welcoming all of the attendees. The apologies were given.

2. Presentation on Waste and Recycling

Gordon welcomed Loretta Emory, Recycling Officer and Jason Evans, Waste and Recycling Compliance Officer, both from Southampton City Council, to the meeting.

Loretta gave a presentation on what happens to the waste we throw away, and all of the recycling material. She also highlighted what we can and cannot recycle.

2.1 Waste

Most of our waste, other than bulky items, is incinerated at Marchwood; this generates enough electricity to power 22,000 homes per annum.

2.2 What can be recycled

We can recycle:

  • Paper, cardboard, telephone directories, newspapers, window envelopes etc
  • Plastic bottles that contain drinks or cleaning products
  • Tins and cans
  • Aerosols – if they’re empty

2.3 What can’t be recycled

We can’t recycle:

  • Shredded paper, Christmas or gift wrapping paper, tetra packs (fruit juice cartons)
  • Margarine tubs, carrier bags
  • Any recyclable material placed in a carrier bag – the recycling sorters can’t see what’s in them

2.4 What happens to our recycled materials

Loretta showed a video about a material recycling facility in Portsmouth. She then explained what happens to those materials:

  • Cloud plastic bottles are turned into garden furniture
  • Clear plastic bottles are made into fleece material eg: jackets and hats
  • Paper and cardboard are made into new paper and cardboard
  • Glass is melted down and reused – we will be having kerbside collection for glass by the end of the year
  • Clothes and shoes (recycled in Recycling facilities such as Westridge Road) are sent overseas
  • Garden waste is turned into Progrow

2.5 Problems with recycling

Judith commented that there are problem bins which are polluted and which don’t then get collected. There are no penalty notices on the bins to warn them about non-compliance. Jason and Loretta responded that they will be issuing new stickers to be placed on the recycling bins. They are working with the letting agents and landlords to make them aware of their responsibilities.

Landlords can arrange for dumped bulky items to be collected for £25 per 5 items. The council is now fining landlords for dumping as they have their names on a database.

Barbara asked about dumping in front gardens, and was advised to contact Environmental Health.

Jason asked us to let him know about the problem houses in the area within the next month, and he will arrange for the problems to be addressed.

Action: residents to inform Gordon of problem houses (eg: polluted bins, overfilled bins, dumping etc)
Action: Gordon to collate the information and send it to Jason for action

Judith asked whether we could have communal recycling bins. Jason said that this was a possibility but it was not practical in many areas of the city

2.6 Incentives for recycling

The council is introducing a reward scheme for good recycling: there will be two winners per month for every 1,200 properties. Rewards will include shopping vouchers.

Gordon thanked Loretta and Jason for their time and the excellent presentation on a subject dear to our hearts.

3 Street Cleaning

Gordon invited Barbara to comment on the progress of the street cleaning. Barbara responded that the numbers attending were dropping and it was usually the same group of people who turned up each week.
Gordon urged all residents to help, otherwise the street cleans will stop and the area will decline again.
Action: Gordon and T to issue a new plea for support for the street cleans

Now that the students have gone, it is easier to clean the gutters. Cllr Burke agreed to find out when the street cleaning vehicle could be made available, and whether protective gloves could be made available by the council.
Action: Cllr Burke

3.1 Any old iron

Barbara reported that the any old iron campaign had started again. Our scrap metal contact is interested in aluminium and brass. Storage of such items prior to delivery to the merchant is an issue.

4 Greening Group

Judith reported on Greening Group initiatives:

  • The talk on Copthorne Gardens, though poorly attended, was excellent and Judith wants to invite Mandy to a future event.
  • The Big Lunch went really well and about 60 to 70 people turned up. John Hayward thanked Cllrs Burke and Barnes-Andrews for their generous contributions to the Big Lunch costs.
  • The Plant Swap went well and spare plants went forward to the Table Top sale
  • The new venue (outside Waitrose) for Table Top sale is much better than the previous one, and they made £115.
  • The signature tree list is currently being compiled. Rosy and Judith to liaise about the siting of two new trees in Cambridge Court. Rosy volunteered to find suitable sites
    Action: Rosy and Judith
  • The History of the Area group has started.

5 Membership Scheme

T informed the meeting that over 100 cards had now been sold. Renewals have started and she urged anyone who hasn’t yet renewed their card (reminders are sent) to do so as the membership fees generate regular income.

6 Any other business

6.1 Police liaison meeting

Peter Wirgman commented that the last police meeting was very poorly attended. Gordon responded that we are often given very short notice which doesn’t help.

6.2 Planning enforcements

Jerry enquired on the current planning enforcements. Gordon agreed to liaise with Steve Dorney and Andy Haslehurst.
Action: Gordon

6.3 OARA recipe book

Barbara noted that the Big Lunch had produced some interesting food and recipes had been swapped during the event. She volunteered to compile a recipe book to generate funds.
Action: T to invite the membership to contribute recipes; Barbara to collate

6.4 Big Lunch photographs

Gordon agreed to send the photographs of the Big Lunch to the webmaster for publication.
Action: Gordon

7 Conclusion

Gordon thanked everyone for their contributions and attendance, and wished them a good summer.

7.1 Dates of next meetings

OARA General Meetings

  • Monday 14th October 13
  • Tuesday 21st January 14 AGM

OARA Committee Meetings

  • Monday 15th July 13
  • Tuesday 5th November 13
  • Monday 16th December 13