Present:

  • Gordon Gillies (Chair)
  • Phine Dahl
  • Andy Haslehurst
  • Sue Swallow
  • Barbro Fitzjohn
  • Greg Hewitt
  • T Jacobs

Apologies:

  • Rosy Maguire
  • Liz Haslam
  • Chris Jackson
  • Lynn Murphy
  • Barbara Matcham

Gordon opened the meeting by welcoming the Committee Members. The apologies were given.

1. The Big Lunch

Gordon invited Greg to give an assessment of how the Big Lunch went on Sunday 3rd June. Greg reported that it had gone very well, the sun shone, there was a good turn-out and the kids enjoyed themselves. A learning point for the next one is to be careful about lending out other people’s gear, for example, games.

The Committee congratulated Greg on the success of the event and thanked him for all of his hard work.

2. Plant Swap/Table Top Sale

The table top sale raised £92 and there are some monies from the quiz which are still due. It was good to see people from outside the area attending.

3. Membership Scheme

T reported that the Membership Scheme was going well. She has redesigned the form so that it can be completed online. Her plan is to make it available through the website so that people can either download it and complete it manually or complete it electronically and send it to the generic email address. She invited Committee members to try both methods out, clearly marked TEST APPLICATION, so that the method and form can be piloted.

Subject to the pilot being successful, she proposed that we leaflet the entire OARA area, possibly with an Application Form on the back of the flyer, and invite people to apply directly.

Gordon commented that he would like all people on the Mailing List to be approached as he would like at least 100 cards issued by the end of the summer.

4. Preparation for the next general meeting

4.1 Venue

We all agreed that we liked sitting in a circle rather than in rows as we have done at the school. Gordon reported that it was possible that we might have to pay for the hire of the school in the future so he has been exploring the continued use of St Barnabas Church Hall. He has tentatively agreed that in return for the use of the hall, we would offer our help perhaps in weeding the car park, or working with their community groups.

4.2 Agenda items

The following is a summary of the various options we discussed for the agenda for the July meeting.

  1. Judith Payling has been thinking about having a Gardeners’ Question Time session
  2. Planning issues and the need to be vigilant for landlords trying to circumvent the planning laws
  3. Membership Cards
  4. Greening Group and the signature cherry trees
  5. Crime Report from Jack Hayward
  6. Street Cleaning
  7. How OARA has made a difference to our area – Phine to lead

Action: Phine to lead at the September meeting
Action: Gordon to add the above subjects to the next agenda

5. Planning Issues

5.1 Large HMOs

Sue reported that she has asked the council for a list of who currently has a licence for existing large HMOs before Schedule 4 came into effect on 23rd March 12.

5.2 Current planning applications

Sue reported that she raised the issue of a local landlord who is advertising a 7 student property without the attendant planning permission. Chris Lyons has referred the case to the Enforcement Team. Gordon commented that this is an issue that is likely to bring us into conflict with the landlords. We must all remain vigilant for similar occurrences and it was agreed that this would be raised at the next meeting. We agreed that it would be useful if our local Councillors were invited to the next meeting to say how the new planning regime was going.
Action: Gordon

6. Greening Group

In mid to late November, there is going to be a Big Tree Plant across the country. The Greening Group want to order their 60 signature cherry trees by then (60 for the Diamond Jubilee year) so it is important that we start to compile a list of who wants one.

We will need the money up front and will have to recognise that we may have insufficient money to buy all 60 trees. Sue has produced a leaflet advertising the scheme.
Action: Sue to send to Gordon for further circulation

Barbro suggested that we might also offer to pick the fruit from people’s trees if they need assistance to do this.

7. Street Cleaning

Barbro commented that the rubbish is mounting up again and is likely to get worse when the students leave at the end of the month.

8. Student Pack

We briefly discussed this and agreed that it was still a good idea but printing costs may prohibit its production. Gordon and T to work on it.
Action: Gordon and T

9. Action List

T commented that many of the actions on the Action List were probably redundant as time has passed since they were first raised. We agreed that Gordon and T would review it.
Action: Gordon and T

T will email those people who haven’t done their actions.
Action: T

10. Any other business

The University of Southampton is having an Open Day on 30 June. It was agreed that Sue would attend on behalf of the Committee.
Action: Sue

11. Dates for 2013 meetings

OARA General Meetings

  • Tuesday 10th July 2012
  • Monday 17th September 2012
  • Tuesday 27th November 2012
  • Tuesday 22nd January 2013 AGM

OARA Committee Meetings

  • Monday 3rd September 2012
  • Tuesday 6th November 2012
  • Thursday 13th December 2012