Apologies: Hilary Jackson, Petrina Boddington, Ruth Kibble.

1. Notice of any urgent other business to be discussed at end of meeting:

Review meeting.

2. Approval of Minutes of Committee Meeting Feb. 8th 2016 and Matters Arising:

Minutes agreed. Sue sent response to SCC planning. Card for Julian Jenkinson was taken into office by Rosie.

3. Membership Report:

Steady progress continues.

4. Finance:

The latest accounts were shared by Andrew.

5. Correspondence:

Sue attended Highfield AGM. The chair had had a meeting with senior officer from the university. The universities are expecting to increase their numbers by 10,000 each.

6. Speaker for OGM:

A councillor may be invited to talk about cuts. Mural banner will be on display and the Big Lunch meeting may be discussed.

7. COMMON GROUND Updates, Proposals & Plans:

8.1 Community/ Social

a). Art Exhibition all in hand. Refreshments organised. Artists to meet on Wed.

b). Big Lunch 12th June. John has applied for street closure and contacted SUSU who can help with repro and entertainment.

c). Links with Southern Landlords – Sue to find out when next meeting is.

8.2 Communication

a). Newsletter to be sent out at the end of April.

b). Landlords/agents’ letter will be prepared by Hilary.

c). Gerry Gillen, from Highfield, asked if RAs would like to get together to communicate with the university.

8.3 History & Heritage

a). Mural – fundraising progressing well.

b). Ally drew attention to the Bevois Mount FB page and website which do a great deal to raise the profile of our area.

c). Fiona laid out plans for the Bevois Mount Mural Fayre which is very kindly being hosted by Avenue St Andrews Church. It will be on 21st May from 12 to 4. The Greening Group were invited to take part. Tables will be available for £5.

8.4 Planning

a). Alma Rd. Hostel update. Potential for 40 people which will mean increased parking problems.

Parking will also be exacerbated by the increasing number of patients who will be registered at Alma Rd. Surgery. There will be another meeting and legal advice may be sought.

8.5 Smart Streets

a). Meeting with Gail Williams – Becky or Loretta will take over from Jason but they can’t drive large vans. Follow up about vermin at no. 71. Could ordinary refuse lorries pick up contaminated blue bins?

b). Next street clean is 1st May. Labelling will start again and bin audit.

c). Barbara is going to order more street cleaning equipment.

8.6 Greening

a). Bloomin’ concrete. Half barrels and window boxes are planned.

b). Table Top Sale will take place on 14th May 11 – 1 on the forecourt of Portswood Church.

9. AOB:

Review meeting. It was felt that a less formal meeting to take stock would be useful.

10. Dates of Next Meetings:

OGM Tues May 10th, Committee Meeting Mon. 20th June.

ACTIONS

  • Landlords’ letter – Hilary – Next bulletin.
  • Common ground Newsletter – Hilary – October
  • Investigate how councils are compensated for student non-payment of council tax – Hilary – For next meeting
  • Letters to be drafted re Kingsley House – Hilary – Consult with KH group
  • Order new street cleaning equipment – Barbara – ASAP
  • Find out date of Southern Landlords meeting – Sue – ASAP
  • Newsletter – John – End of April